Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Question of the Day

Question via email:

Hi Julie,


I have just begun my journey in training for a career in medical coding. I have doing a lot of research in the field and stumbled across your YouTube videos. I find them to be extremely informative, and am so grateful that you take the time to share your knowledge with the world.


I have a question. You mentioned that you had received an employment offer from Houston, before you graduated your HIM program. Do you mind sharing the name of the employer? Was it Memorial Hermann? I am a Texas native (San Antonio, TX), and was curious as to which employers would consider entry level certified coders.

Thanks a bunch!




Thank you for writing to me. The job offer I received was from Cornerstone Hospital Group. I have entertained a job offer from Memorial Hermann to code remotely. The offer was very good but it required me to be in Houston for 2 weeks and I wasn't able to take that time away from my full-time position, I was only pursuing a PRN position with Memorial Hermann.

I've known small hospitals as well as teaching hospitals to be open to entry level coders, it just really depends on the demands of the hospital and the availability of coders. Some facilities have a really high billing demand and can not accomadate teaching a new coder and would prefer someone with experience. In those instances I would just try to sell myself as a strong and fast learner and hopefully they will take a chance on you. I have a video regarding that topic.

Good Luck!

5 comments:

  1. You are truly inspiring keep doing what you are doing.. God bless you...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was thinking also for the people who are not able to find anyone to hire them without experience isn't it better to maybe just try to apply for another position in the department? I am still in school but I hear so many stories of bitter graduates who cannot find work. I don't want that to be me so I was thinking I would try to get my foot in the door some other way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was wondering that as well. Julie.. I am finishing up my degree in Health Information Technology at Devry University which is CAHIIM approved and will be doing my last class which is my internship this May. Also Devry is trying to secure me to do my internship at a hospital nearby me and I will be taking a RHIT prep course with Devry and if I pass the prep course they will pay for me to take my RHIT certification test. I have a year experience of working in a hospital as a Unit Secretary and I am currently working at a medical malpractice insurance company. I want to be a hospital coder. Graduation for me is so close should I try to obtain any position in the hospital now to hopefully move to the coding department atter graduating or just wait until I do my internship this May and hope to secure a position?? Thanks and I love your blog and videos .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I forgot to also add I am planning on taking my RHIT exam this July. I want to take it as early after graduation as possible so the information is fresh on my mind.

      Delete