Wednesday, April 2, 2014

EHR Project Manager...

What have I learned so far?

  1. I've learned that if someone doesn't work on the project daily then they don't think it's important. 
  2. You will become much more organized that you ever thought because if you don't, you'll lose your mind and hold up the project. 
  3. You will have to learn to hold your temper and your tongue. 
  4. Some people will never have a sense of urgency when they feel that the project doesn't directly affect them or their department. 
  5. You will have to have major support from executive leadership because at some point they are going to have to step in and put fire underneath the behinds of others that are not taking your request seriously. 
  6. A timeline will become your best friend and your best defense. 
This project has made me have to grow as a leader and I appreciate it.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Julie!
    I wondered where you have been. I subscribed to your channel on YT like to years ago. Lo and behold I find myself applying to college for the Health Information Administration at Stephens College because of a lot of your info. on there. Matter-of-fact, I'll be starting this Fall 2014 to be exact. I hope you do find the time to blog because I really enjoy all of your insightful ideas and information. Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you very much Julie, you have been so helpful. You are going places. By the way I just started watching you like today. I had to leave a HIM program for my RHIT and AS degree due to lack of funds but I plan to get back in the game.
    Ketina

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Julie B.!
    I want to say first and foremost “Thank You” for sharing your YouTube videos and blogs with the world. I have been watched and reading since 2012. After watching one of your videos in 2012, I became inspired to change careers and go back to college to pursue my degree in HIM. You have taught me a great deal about the HIM profession and how to prepare for the credentialing exams. You are my “cheerleader” when I’m studying hard and feeling discouraged about accomplishing my goals.
    I’m sure you have seen the HIM field change in many ways in the last 10 years. The paper based systems are being replaced with hybrids and now EHRs. As, a current HIM student I have found that many of my fellow classmates, myself included are taking mostly online courses. Also, the professors are struggling to place students into traditional PPE settings because many of the HIM department employees are working remotely from home. Therefore, students may not have a way to shadow employees in a traditional hospital or outpatient setting. I was curious about your opinion on this matter. Also, I was wondering if you have any insight on possible switch this fall to ICD-10? You have any positives and/or negative ideas about the switch to ICD-10? And what is the best way for students and HIM professionals to prepare for the switch to a much larger body of codes? Also, I would be interested in your knowledge on Meaningful Use. Thank you again for all you do to help those of us just starting out in the HIM field!
    Heather W., South Carolina HIM student

    ReplyDelete