Monday, September 16, 2013

The Coder

Position Title: Coder
Immediate Supervisor: Director of HIM, Manager of Clinical Data, or Coding Supervisor
General Purpose: to apply the appropriate diagnostic and procedural codes to individual patient health information for data retrieval and analysis and claims processing.

Responsibilities: 
  • Abstracts pertinent information from patient records. Assigns ICD-9-CM or HCPCS codes, creating APC or DRG group assignments.
  • Queries physicians when code assignments are not straightforward or documentation in the record is inadequate, ambiguous, or unclear for coding purposes. 
  • Keeps abreast of coding guidelines and reimbursement reporting requirements. Brings identified concerns to supervisor or department manager for resolution.
  • Abides by the Standards of Ethical Coding as set forth by the American Health Information Management Association and adheres to official coding guidelines.
Qualifications: 
  • Minimum of successful completion of a coding certificate program in a program with AHIMA approval status. Certification as RHIA, RHIT, CCS, CCS-P, CPC or CPC-H preferred.
  • Coding certification from AHIMA preferred. 
  • Work experience as a coder or strong training background in coding and reimbursement preferred. 

I always encourage anyone that's an RHIA or RHIT to work as a coder for a few years because it gives you options as a fall back career. Plus you can make some pretty decent money as a part-time or PRN coder.

4 comments:

  1. I am not sure if this will go through. I for one am very excited to be a HIM professional. You gave me confidence to push myself. Now I am managing my own department with 1 FTE. So excited. I am living proof that hard work and studying hard pays off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad that I have helped you. HIM is such a small field and so unknown but I'm glad that you are enjoying it. Good luck on your new role!

      Delete
  2. I just wanted to let you know that I have been following you and your YT videos for over a year now. I am currently in my 2nd term to obtain my associate's degee in Health Information technology. You have been such an inspiration to me to keep going and NEVER give up. Could you please share some your study tips that you used to get through school. Right now, I am currently taking Health Information Management and I am struggling a little with the function of the health record.
    Thank you in advance and I LOVE your new blog. I shared a link for it in my HIM class.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congratulations on your progression in your program. Sure I'll either do a post on that subject or I'll do a video. I do need to get back on my YT videos.

      But just a little on the function of the health record. I once had a teacher tell me that the medical record and the medical record department is the hub of the hospital. Just imagine a bicycle wheel. The medical record is the center hub and all the other departments are the spokes of the wheel. Everything that goes on in the hospital lives in the medical record and the medical record department is the brain of the hospital where all the knowledge lives. That visual always helps me remember how many functions the medical record can have.

      Good Luck!

      Delete